What insurance is needed when you move into a care home?
Should residents decide to bring small items of furniture or personal belongings, we are unable to accept responsibility in the event that they are lost or damaged, unless security precautions at the home have been compromised. It is strongly recommended that you arrange suitable contents insurance if you do decide to bring such items along with you.
What happens if my needs or the needs of my loved one change?
Change in routine or any kind of upheaval can be distressing for care home residents. In the event that their needs change, care pathways are available - this is a term used to describe care homes that provide a combination of residential, nursing and dementia care. By offering this, residents can remain at the same home without having to relocate even if their needs change.
Does every resident receive a care plan?
Every new resident to the care home will be assessed to ensure they receive the right type of care catered to their individual needs. Following this, a care plan will be created which sets out how the staff at the home will meet those needs for a comfortable stay.  Care plans are typically reviewed on a monthly basis and are updated in the event there are any changes.
How do you arrange to visit one of the Bondcare homes?
Our friendly staff at Bondcare will provide a warm welcome to visitors at all our care homes across the UK and are happy to show you around the premises. It’s worth noting that we strongly recommend you pre-book a visit so that we can ensure someone will be available to take you on a tour of the home and provide you with everything you need to make an informed decision.
Can residents bring their own furniture?
Being surrounded by items from home can allow new residents to feel more comfortable and settled. At Bondcare, we welcome small items of furniture - such as a favourite armchair - and other treasured belongings - including photographs - so residents can personalise their rooms. All electrical items will be PAT tested and furniture will undergo a fire risk assessment to protect the safety of our residents and staff.
How do I arrange home care for myself or a family member?
Home care covers a range of things, including cleaning, meal preparation, shopping and personal care - these can be arranged through private agencies that must be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) as with other care settings. The Homecare Association can provide guidance on different home care providers in the UK that adhere to its code of practice.
Is there a cap on care home fees in the UK?
As it stands, there is no cap on how much someone will pay for their care home fees. From October 2023, the most people in England will pay for social care costs will be £86,000; this does not include fees in relation to utility bills, food and accommodation.
Will I keep my pension in a care home?
If you are paying for your care home fees yourself (otherwise known as ‘self-funding’), then you will continue to receive your State Pension as usual. If you receive monetary support from your local authority, then your State Pension will be considered income and taken into consideration when calculating how much you need to contribute towards the care home costs. This will also factor in a weekly income that you will receive, also known as ‘Personal Expenses Allowance (PEA)’.
What is a care needs assessment?
This is a free assessment carried out by local authorities to establish what type of care and support a person needs. Based on the findings, they can provide recommendations on how this care must be provided so that plans can be made accordingly.
What happens if my money runs out?
If you find that your money starts to run out while living in a care home, you will need to arrange a care needs assessment and a financial assessment with your local authority immediately, as you may be eligible for some financial assistance. Likewise, if your loved one who is a resident in a care home finds themselves in this situation, make sure you support them in arranging the appropriate assessments if they are unable to do so.
Can I get help with paying for care home fees?
This will depend on your individual financial situation and care needs. If your finances total below a certain threshold, your local authority can contribute towards your fees - this can differ between countries in the UK, so make sure you familiarise yourself with this first. There are also some benefits options available that care home residents can claim, and the NHS also provides support with nursing care fees, too.
Who regulates care homes in the UK?
The UK’s different regulatory bodies are: Care Quality Commission (CQC) for England, Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) for Wales, Care Inspectorate (CI) for Scotland, and Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA) for Northern Ireland.
Can I change care homes if I am not happy?
All residents are entitled to change care homes if their current one isn’t the right fit for them - perhaps they are struggling with the adjustment or the location has hindered their family from visiting as regularly as they’d like. Referring to the terms and conditions of the contract will prevent any problems so that this is a smooth process.
How do you know if a care home is good?
Reading through the reviews from residents and their families is a great way of checking if a care home is the right fit for you or your loved one. You can also take a look at the Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspection reports for different care homes to see their rating, any recommendations and the actions required. All reports can be viewed here.
How do you find a care home?
Bondcare has care homes located across the UK so that our quality care isn’t limited to one or two areas of the country. Ask your local authority, speak with family and friends, and use the internet to find the care home closest to you that caters to your individual needs. Use our ‘find a care home’ search tool to refine your search based on postcode or location.
When should someone move into a care home?
This is very much a personal choice that must only be made when you and your loved ones feel completely ready. Make sure you carry out plenty of research on the options available to you and discuss these with the people closest to you, as well as a doctor, so you can make an informed decision.
How long can respite care last?
The length of time can vary depending on the circumstances. This can range from a few days, while a person’s carer is away on a short break, to a month while a resident recovers from a hospital stay or plans are made for their care on a long-term basis.
What activities are available for my relative?
Each of our homes offers different activities and schedules for residents. It’s best to check with the individual house if you’d like to know about specific event schedules or any trips which are planned.
Do I need to book an appointment to view the home?
Our staff would be happy to show you around the home, but it is always advisable to book ahead to ensure that someone will be available to guide you around and provide you with all of the information you need to know.
Why choose Bondcare?
At the Bondcare Group, we have numerous company objectives to ensure we’re delivering the best quality care to residents. We also have our own philosophy which centres around creating a friendly and warm environment for residents, as well as treating each individual with sensitivity and respect.
Nursing/residential care; what is the difference?
Residential care is provided by trained carers as opposed to nurses. Carers will assist residents with normal, everyday activities where required, including eating, washing and getting around. Nursing care involves registered nurses to cater for the more complex healthcare requirements of residents. This can involve medication regimes, assessments and other specialist assistance.
What type of care do you provide?
All of our homes offer a different combination of care, catering for:
  • Residential care
  • Dementia care
  • Respite care
  • Nursing care
  • End of life care
  • Physical disabilities
  • Learning disabilities
  • Sensory impairment
  • Mental health conditions
  • Challenging behaviours
To find out which home has the right combination of care for you or your loved one, we advise that you contact us and we’ll be happy to help.